This page offers valuable resources to provide instructors with an overview of Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT) and to help instructors explore and develop their own CRT strategies.
Many definitions have been written over the years, but this one sums up CRT fairly well.
Culturally responsive teaching is “a student-centered approach to teaching in which the students’ unique cultural strengths are identified and nurtured to promote student achievement and a sense of well-being about the student’s cultural place in the world.” (From “What is Culturally Responsive Pedagogy?”)
Dive deeper using the links below, each of which defines CRT.
- 3 Tips to Make Any Lesson More Culturally Responsive – An article by Zaretta Hammond, author of Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain. This short read includes some specific tips and a clarification on the definition of CRT. Highly recommended!
- Culturally Responsive Teaching: What You Need to Know – Superb explanation of CRT, along with useful methods of enacting CRT. Highly recommended!
Principles and Strategies
Core principles of CRT have been offered by experts and adapted in specific educational situations. The sites below detail principles and/or strategies of CRT. Some strategies may be worded toward specific audiences (for example, middle school settings) but can often be applied in higher education, as well.
- 5 Culturally Responsive Teaching Strategies – Great tips, and also an excellent definition of CRT and comparison to traditional teaching. Highly recommended!
- Culturally Responsive Teaching – Brown University’s site lists seven principles of CRT, each linked to a page focused on that principle. Highly recommended!
- Culturally Responsive Instruction – This page includes principles of CRT along with a list of strategies. It also includes links to many outside resources.
- This PDF guide includes descriptions for each of the original 7 principles of CRT with matching strategies. Highly recommended!
- 15 Culturally-Responsive Teaching Strategies and Examples + Downloadable List
Research on CRT
You may find this recent study into CRT in higher education interesting:
- Culturally Responsive Teaching: 4 Misconceptions – Highly recommended!
- How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive: Advice Guide – This page focuses on being more inclusive, one strategy in CRT. Excellent source of ideas.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and UDL – Faculty Focus makes the case for CRT and UDL.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching In Higher Education – This article was included in Colorado’s Department of Higher Education’s Equity Toolkit. It provides academic underpinnings as well as practical practices.
- Culturally Inclusive classroom: defined – The formatting on this site might drive you mad, but the information and resources are great.
- 8 Active Learning Strategies and Examples [+ Downloadable List]
- What Is Project Based Learning? 10 Best PBL Ideas to Boost Outcomes
- What Is Inquiry-Based Learning: 7 Benefits & Strategies You Need to Know
View Online Learning’s presentation from 2020 Fall Inservice on the topic of Culturally Responsive Teaching Online.