Follow the detailed steps below to prepare your online course for students.
Just want a short, printable list? Open this Online Course Checklist.
Before Term Begins
- Navigate to the MyMHCC homepage of your online course.
- Set up the landing page with a single custom content portlet.
- Add a message with a link to Bb Login.
- You might include your course log-in/admin drop policy here, outside of Blackboard.
Prepare Bb Course List
- Use Course Copy to copy content from a previous term to your newest course shell
- Remove and arrange courses on your course list
- Set permissions for your files
Edit Course Content
- Use date management to update all availability and due dates
- Update your syllabus and the first week or two of lesson content.
- Ensure all quiz, assignment, and test availability dates are accurate
- Hide course tools you don’t use. Course Menu/Course Tools/Hide-Show Toggles
- If you still have Dashboard in the course menu, delete and replace with Calendar. Course Menu/+/ tool link/select from the drop-down menu
In Student Preview
- Read your syllabus and follow all links to ensure they’re live and open in new tabs
- Complete any tasks required to release content such as marking reviewed or taking a syllabus quiz
- Make sure your first lesson releases as designed
- Check for obsolete or incorrect information (BIG HINT: if your syllabus tells students to contact Cat Vogt for WebCT support, it’s time for an update.)
- If you have quizzes, activities or assignments, follow links to confirm they open and work
- Click on My Grades and note any incorrect assignments or duplicate total/weighted total columns
- Edit/cleanup Grade Center as needed. Grade Center 911
- Edit and update your welcome message on the discussion board. (Editing the post sets the current date and removes “from anonymous”.
- Delete all old forum posts
*** You may decide you want to save some posts for reference or examples. If so, create a duplicate forum and hide the old one with useful posts. If the old forum was graded, be sure you go to forum settings and remove points.
- Set SoS Forum so members can subscribe.
- Subscribe to the SOS forum
- If you use group discussions, clear all old posts in these areas
After Term Begins
- Email students to confirm they’re checking their Saints email
- Ensure this Saints email information link is in your syllabus
- Use “last access” column in the grade center to check for non-participating students.
- Drop no-shows and add wait-listed students (Hint: Use discretion when considering late adds.) Not sure how to add or drop? Read this post Adding and Dropping Students
- Submit your first-week attendance by Sunday midnight (10-week courses)
TIP: Before re-adding desperate, dropped no-shows, take a moment and check student transcripts. A previous term of failed online courses might indicate a questionable situation.